Date: Thursday, February 18, 2010
District: 5 – Santa Barbara, SLO, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties
Contact: Susana Z. Cruz (Bilingual) or Colin Jones
Phone: (805) 549-3138 or (805) 549-3189
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HIGHWAY 1 CARMEL TO CAMBRIA PROJECT UPDATE
MONTEREY COUNTY –
- Roadwork continues on a retaining wall project near Gamboa Point, three miles north of Lucia. A temporary signal is in place with work expected to be complete in June. Work hours are Mondays through Fridays from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Traffic is also down to one lane just south of Lucia utilizing stop signs as a new temporary signal will be installed in the coming weeks to perform slide stabilization and exploratory drilling with temporary slope stabilization. Work hours are Mondays through Fridays from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
- The temporary signal about two miles south of Lucia at Pitkins Curve/Rain Rocks for
the bridge/rockshed project remains in operation 24/7 and the project is expected to
be complete in 2013.
- Rock slope protection continues on Hwy. 1 at Shale Point, nine miles north of
Ragged Point or three miles south of Gorda, which are both about seven miles into
the Monterey County Line from San Luis Obispo. This segment of Hwy. 1 will
continue with roadwork during daytime hours (7:30 am to 5 pm) with reverse one-
way traffic control through Mid-April.
SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY—
- Construction continues with the installation of several horizontal drains on Highway 1,
one mile north of Ragged Point during the daytime only, with one-way traffic control
with flaggers continuing from 7:00 am until 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday and
until 2 pm on Fridays. Work is expected to be complete at the end of February,
Caltrans reminds motorists that “we’re here to get you there.”
For more information on you can call the toll-free project hotline at (888) 836-0866 or visit www.dot.ca.gov/dist05/projects/pitkins/index.htm.